The PECET has the staff, infrastructure and 25 years of experience in the design of cost-effective measures directed towards the prevention and control of tropical diseases through the application of the eco-epidemiological method.
Foci studies for Vector Transmitted Diseases (VTDs)
- Molecular and taxonomical identification of insect species vectors of Leishmaniosis, Trypanosomiasis, Dengue and Malaria.
- Development of studies on the bionomics of leishmaniasis vector species, as well as their distribution (both altitudinal and vertical), density, habitat, behavior, vectorial capacity, physiological state, and others.
- Geographical and ecological delimitation of transmission areas for Malaria, Dengue, Trypanosomiasis and Leishmaniosis.
- Active search, diagnosis and timely treatment of leishmaniasis cases.
- Identification of potential domestic and wild reservoirs for visceral and cutaneous leishmaniasis.
- Creation and elaboration of infection risk maps in the transmission foci of cutaneous and visceral leishmaniasis.
- Characterization of the CAP (Concepts, Attitudes and Practices) of the affected community towards the causes of the disease, traditional treatments and preventive measures.
- Workshops and training courses on the clinical, epidemiological and entomological aspects of prevention and control of VTDs, aimed at Public Health Departments, patients and the community.
- Studies on the environmental impact of infrastructure works in relation to the risks of infection by VTDs and trematodiases.
Ecoepidemiological studies for the determination of infection risk factors for Paragonimus, Fasciola and Paraphimstomids
Diagnosis of parasites that affect people (liver fluke and Paragonimus) and cattle (liver and rumen fluke).
- Studies in Mollusk hosts:
- Taxonomical determination of mollusk vectors
- Life table studies and population dynamics of some species of mollusk vectors.
- Processing, mounting and codification of biological material for the creation of mollusk, crustacean and trematode collections.
- Evaluation of the presence of parasites in mollusks.
- Taxonomical determination and description
- Establishment of the life cycles of trematodes under in vitro conditions.
- Taxonomical determination of crustaceans
- Evaluation of parasite presence in crustaceans.
Foci studies may include all aspects mentioned above or only a few of them, according to the characteristics and needs to determine in each disease focus.